Thursday 1 November 2007

Cover Up

Different cultures have different ways of showing respect. In Asian countries they bow to the teacher, the sensei, in the beginning and end of lessons. In Italy the tradition of the Maestro surrounded by his class at all times is still alive.
Fifty years ago the violin teacher was second only to God (at least in his/her own eyes). Changing teachers was viewed as treachery, no less. The teacher’s musical views were never openly questions by his students.

Thankfully things have changed. Most schools will consider the student’s point of view when assigning a teacher for them and a change of teacher is tolerated. The internet and modern travel modes have made the search for the right teacher an easier task for the aspiring student. Yet with this comes something of a casual attitude towards the teacher, a certain diminishing respect.
This is never more apparent than in student’s choice of clothes when coming to a lesson. Now I am not a prude and I prefer casual wear when I teach. I hate ties and my suits are kept for concerts and weddings, but I am still astounded by the fashion choices some of my students make when they come to a violin lesson. In my eyes, it shows a certain lack of respect both to themselves as well as to me.
All music schools are rightfully aware for the safety of their students, even to the point of conducting seminars for teachers about this touchy subject. Most teaching rooms in modern buildings are full of glass walls and large windows precisely because of that. Yet no one is telling the students to dress accordingly to the situation.

First of all, male or female, you do not walk into a lesson wearing the same clothes you would wear walking into your own kitchen nor what you would be happy to wear in the club you are planning to visit that very night.
You are not going to the shop, you are not going to a party and you are definitely not on the beach.

A lesson is an important event in your life. There are only about 30-40 lessons a year, not counting summer schools, which is not a lot. You should look at the lessons almost as sacred time, devoted only to learning, and should act and dress accordingly.
If you keep adjusting your clothes during the lesson it means you are wearing too little and self conscious of it, so your mind is not focused fully on the lesson.

During the lesson a teacher must look intently at the student’s body, checking the hands, arms, shoulders, stance and more in order to detect visible signs of physical stress. Sometimes the teacher needs to come in to the close proximity of the student and touch them. This is not the time you want to flaunt sexuality, believe me. Personally, I stay away from the student if I feel they are not suitably dressed, so again, the lesson suffers.
I am not suggesting that my female students should wear the Burka in lessons but there is no reason for me to see what you are wearing underneath your clothes.
Personal hygiene is also an issue, I am afraid. Stained, torn, dirty clothes and especially bad odour (both sweat or half a bottle of perfume) are simply not a good way to interact with any human being.

No comments: