Saturday 3 November 2007

My book


Today I won’t write about violin teaching (or playing for that matter) because I am too excited about my book, Rocca’s Violin, which is coming out tomorrow in Israel.
What I really loved about writing it (and to some extent, doing stand up comedy as well) was the fact it is my own material, that I created it from nothing.

As a classical musician I spent all my life trying to interpret the works of great (and sometimes not so great) composers. The notes were there, so was the rhythm, volume, style, harmony and all the words and sign which indicate how to play the piece. In so many ways we are restricted by the rules of playing and try to find our own voice, the freedom of expression, in very subtle ways within those restrictions. Creating something from nothing was a real change and a wonderful experience.

It is certainly something I would love to do again.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

just finished reading.
great book.
i'm not a musician and enjoyed it very much.
thanks.

Eyal Kless said...

well... thanks you so much

Eden said...

When will we see an English translation?

Eyal Kless said...

just sending a draft to an agent this week...

if I am lucky - a couple of months but probably more (or perhaps less - have no idea how this business work)

Eden said...

I wait eagerly for it to hit NZ shores sometime this year, then. (Of course, since it is NZ it'll be more like 2 years probably).